Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Art Of Getting By (2011)



The Art of Getting By (2011)


(Warning: Spoilers)
Directed by Gavin Wiesen.
Rated PG 13+ 
Romantic comedy-drama.

George, portrayed by Freddie Highmore - lonely, 'teflon slacker,' not engaged with the world, fatalistic, emotionless, outcast, not at all motivated, gifted artist.

Sally, portrayed by Emma Roberts - popular, pretty, perfect, 'complicated.'

Dustin, portrayed by Michael Angarano - professional but struggling artist, George's mentor after they met at Career's Day at school. 

  

To be quite honest, there is nothing I'd rather do on a Friday night, after a long and tiring week of school, than sit in bed with a cup of iced coffee in my hands & watch The Art of Getting By. It's such a calming film.
First of all, the title is genius. Much better than it's original, 'Homework.' It relates to George and his journey throughout the movie, the fact that it takes effort for one to 'get by,' and that's far too demeaning for him. 

"I read a quote once when I was a kid, 'We live alone, we die alone. Everything else is just an illusion.' It used to keep me up at night."

From the very start of the movie we learn that George has potential, he's extremely intelligent actually, but he lacks motivation to do anything, which is unfortunate. And amazingly interesting. I'd like to say that a philosophical subject arises because of the character. (Would you call it philosophical? Idk. Don't judge me if this sounds stupid or makes no sense haha). The meaning in life. Yeah, we kind of do live alone, because it's up to us and only us live the life we long for. Everything else is just an illusion; I guess this refers to the fact that everything else in between birth and death simply is just everything else in between. 

"I have no idea what I'm doing here."
"I don't think anyone does, at least you admit it."

I believe George may have a mental illness explaining why his views are so negative. But I also imagine he's going through that adolescent stage where you're just trying to figure things out. And so if you're a teenager you can relate to this. And if you're an adult you could probably think of a million arguments as to why I'm wrong for relating to George. I don't know. 
I've read reviews of this movie written by adults and a couple of them brought up the fact that this film and what it's about may be negatively influential to teenagers, as if we're going to copy George's character. By the end of the film George finds meaning. He doesn't bluntly state that he now finds meaning in life, like he did about the fact that he doesn't find meaning in life at the start of the film. But he finds meaning in something. And that's enough to blindly convince yourself that there's something, even if it's the tiniest thing, worth putting effort into, worth living for. If anything, this film encourages that statement alone. So, on a side note, I find it offensive if any adult thinks we are ignorant enough to disregard that. 


George is the badass. He's the rebel, the 'teflon slacker' so he says. But he's not your regular rebellious kind of guy. Honestly, when I first noticed it was Highmore who was portraying the lead I didn't think he could pull it off. I mean, it's little Freddie, the sweet British boy who played good old Charlie in Tim Burton's take on Willy Wonka. However, he has definitely proved me wrong. His charm and cute as dimples bring a different feel to the so-called cliché kind of character; a feeling of sensitivity. He's hardcore, yet fragile, and I absolutely love it. 
I think Roberts' fits well in her role. I think it's her fair and effortless beauty.
Angarano was a childhood crush (Sky High, mate) so it was really nice seeing him in this.

My favourite part of the film would have to be those couple of scenes towards the end where no dialogue takes place, just music to get you in the mood; the part, especially, where George and Sally walk past each other on the street without stopping to say hey, without even making eye contact, nothing. I just find it impressing that there's so much power in the two second clip.
On that note I think the film has a great soundtrack.
The movie may not have been made the best, it didn't make it to the cinema (Australian cinema's, that is. I'm not too sure about cinemas around the USA or any other countries.), but I believe it's worth a watch. It's definitely a favourite of mine.

-xo Chiara. 

No comments:

Post a Comment